The Democratic Alliance (DA) in Gauteng demands that the Department of Education conduct an urgent investigation at the Pulamadibogo Primary School in Block Y, Shoshanguve, after at least 90 learners fell ill due to alleged food poisoning.
It is reported that 10 ambulances took learners for medical treatment following the incident.
The DA has been reliably informed that the learners had allegedly eaten “space cookies” that were sold outside the school premises by a vendor.
This is worrying, as this is not the first time that learners have fallen ill after purchasing food outside the school gate.
Earlier this year, a group of learners fell ill after eating ‘space cookies’ bought from a vendor outside the school premises in Alexandra.
This is now becoming a trend, and it is concerning as schools should be a safe place for teaching and learning.
The DA once again calls on the Gauteng Department of Education to establish an integrated safety approach that includes the School Governing Body (SGB) and the community to avoid such incidents from occurring.
Gauteng schools lack a functional vetting process for vendors to ensure that learners are sold safe, hygienic, and healthy food.
The DA will continue to pressure the department to implement the vetting process for all vendors trading outside the school premises across the province to protect the learners from drugs and food poisoning.